A Warm Curry for A Rainy Day: the Perfect Khaw Suey Recipe
Do yourself a favour and make yourself a bowl of this khao suey STAT! Switch of the noodles for our gluten free edamame noodles for a 21 g protein boost!
- 500g Mixed Vegetables (diced)
- 300 g Pink Harvest Farms Chickpea & Soybean Spaghetti Noodles (we’ve used the Chickpea & Soybean spaghetti here but Green Dal & Edamame can be an excellent addition to curries)
- 1/2 cup sambar onions thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup garlic thinly sliced
- 3 small red chilies (Optional).
- 1 inch ginger grated
- 500 ml coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon gram flour
- 2 sprigs coriander leaves
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 1 spring onion
- 1 lime wedges
- salt to taste
- 4 boiled eggs peeled and sliced into halves (optional)
- Heat some oil in a pan. When the oil is hot enough, reduce the flame and fry HALF of the thinly sliced garlic.
- As soon as they start turning brown, scoop them out on to a paper towel to soak up the oil.
- Now fry HALF of the thinly sliced shallots. Keep them along with the fried garlic. Leave the oil in the pan.
- Add the veggies to the pan and start frying them adding more oil if required.
- Once the veggies start to brown add the curry leaves, grated ginger, and the remaining chopped garlic and sliced shallots.
- Fry this for 5 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Add the gram flour, turmeric powder, and salt.
- Thinly slice the chillies. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Cook the noodles following the instructions on the packet. Drain the noodles, and wash them in cold water.
- Your curried veggies should be cooked by now. Add the coconut milk, stir well, and bring to a simmer on medium heat.
- Add salt if required. Take off the gas.
- Place some noodles and a sliced egg in a bowl, with some finely chopped cilantro, and pour the curried veggies over it.
- Garnish with spring onions.
- Provide all other accompaniments in small bowls - fried garlic, fried shallots, cilantro, chillies and lime wedges.
- Squeeze some lime juice over it just before eating and bon appetite!
Watch us assemble it below:
If you try this, tag us @pinkharvestfarms