LOW Sugar - High OMEGA 3 Strawberry Jam
This Strawberry Chia Jam takes less than 15 minutes to make and is definitely my new favourite! Just 5 simple ingredients and you have a perfect and nutritious homemade jam, no bad stuff, no preservatives, only clean ingredients!
Not only are Chia Seeds high in omegas, fibre and protein, Chia Seeds swell up with moisture and help thicken the jam giving it the jam-my texture without loads of sugar or thickeners!
This recipe is very versatile, you can use any juice fruit like raspberries, blueberries, peaches, apple, pineapple. I have picked strawberries because well, who doesn't love strawberries (plus its in season)!!
I use our farm-grown Chia Seeds from Pink Harvest Farms
Strawberry Chia Jam
Vegan, Gluten Free
1 cup fresh strawberries, washed and greens removed, roughly chopped.
1 Tablespoon Chia Seeds (I use Pink Harvest Farms Chia Seeds)
2 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
2-3 Tablespoons pure maple syrup (use honey if not vegan or any sweetener of you choice)
- Add the strawberries in a saucepan and bring to medium heat, stirring occasionally until the strawberries start breaking down.
- Use a potato masher to mash up the strawberries lightly until no large pieces remain.
Add the Chia Seeds, lemon juice and sweetener. Mix well and cook for 3-4 minutes until the strawberries are tender.
- Taste and adjust sweetness or tartness based on your preference.
- Remove from heat and let cool for 10 minutes. (The jam will thicken a lot as it cools.)
- Stir the jam once well. Then serve immediately, or store in a sealed container and refrigerate for up to a week.
- Spread on toast, add to your breakfast bowl, use in your desserts, lots of options!
Use any other juicy fruit you like such as raspberries, blueberries, peaches, apple, pineapple or even a mixed fruit jam.
Based on the fruit you choose, you will need to adjust the sweetness and tartness. If too thin, you can add another spoon of chia seeds.
Basically, taste your way through it and adjust!
Some add ins to amp up the flavour -
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- Spices like ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg
You can easily double to triple the recipe!